Saturday, September 24

Just like Grandpa's porch

Buongiorno mi famiglia! Today I am writing you with a happy feeling that begins in my belly and goes all the way to my extremities. Why is my tummy so happy? Perhaps it has something to do with the Tomato Salati alla Aulisio that Wifey and I prepared last night. This delicious dish brought back memories of sweltering afternoons on the porch, slurping up spaghetti and homemade hot sausages leftover from breakfast while watching the antics as the children gulped down Chek cola and the adults told jokes and discussed the news. The ice cubes that resided in the penguin-adorned ice bucket melted into slivers almost instantaneously when they were plunked into the tepid soda that came off the shelves in Grandpa's garage. These were the days that taught me about family and sacrifice. Sacrifice we did--namely the creature comforts that I have come to appreciate so dearly. So I turn down the thermostat and rejoice in the flavors that define my childhood, although the ice lasts longer and I now drink a cold beer instead of a hot cola. If your curiosity is piqued and you want to get a little taste of one my childhood favorites, I encourage you to give this recipe a try. The only modifications are to coat the rinsed tomatoes in flour mixed with a little salt and pepper before you fry them. I also love the onions and nickel-thick potato slices that Meemaw and Grandpa would sautee up to go with the tomatoes. Thank you both for shipping me the delicious tomatoes that made this culinary delight possible. I love you Meemaw and Grandpa!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 

Your Visit Counted Who links me